Sunday, February 17, 2013

I Am Going to Get Better at This....



So, I promised I'd begin writing again.......and then I didn't. I had a couple of you call me out on it, so here I am, posting to my blog! (I really am going to try to do better!!)

Most people I run into that know I'm in my first year teaching ask me, "how's your first year going?" And my answer to them, "It's been a whirlwind of a year!" Which is completely true. Turns out, there's a BIG learning curve when you start your first year and I'm just in the thick of it. There's nothing that can truly prepare you for having your own classroom. Not student teaching, not even the two years of subbing experience I had (where I was in the classroom a good majority of the time). Now, don't get me wrong. Those experiences were wonderful in preparing me for my first year, it's just that there's no comparable experience of having your own classroom...until you have your own classroom.

I've had my moments of "I won't try that again!" and "Wow, that actually worked!" that I'm beginning to log away to use for future years to come. It's hard to believe that I've already starting to prepare myself for next year. One of the things I beginning to do is to re-file all of my hard copies of activities, worksheets, and tests. This blows my mind because I spend so long going through files this summer filing them away into my filing cabinet. (The teacher that I took the place of didn't have the best organizational skills...) But, you live and you learn, and I've learned I like my items filed in a different way! I've also created my weekly classroom newsletter for next year this weekend. It's similar in set up to my newsletter that I send out this year, I just changed up a few things and, voila! Here's a little preview of what the document looks like:



I love it! It's fun and fresh!

So far this year has been a physical, emotional, and mental roller coaster of an experience and I wouldn't trade a moment of it for anything!


1 comment:

  1. Glad you posted. The newsletter is really cute!

    ReplyDelete