Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Button Monogram



I've been seeing these adorable button monograms floating around the internet for a while now. I thought they were so cute but I never had enough buttons to make one. (And I wasn't about to go buy a bunch of buttons.) Well, I recently got my Grandmother's old sewing box. In it, I found the jackpot of buttons. I guess she used her sewing box as her button box over the years because there are so many buttons in it! For example, for this project I used only neutral colored buttons that she had in her sewing box -- plus there were some left over that I didn't get to use! None of these buttons came out of my own stash!

For this project you'll need:
- a printer
- cardstock
- a ton of buttons in your color choice
- glue gun
- 8 x 10 picture frame (without the glass)

I printed the monogram "C" in Helvetica at 700 font. I also printed it in a very light tan color; that way I could still see the outline of the "C" without it showing up between the button spaces. You could change the font to fit your vision you have for your monogram. After printing, you'll need to cut your cardstock to fit your frame.

I then began playing around with how I wanted to lay out my buttons for my monogram. After I got the general idea, I began glueing my buttons. For the most part I used the larger buttons for the shape of the "C" and filled in smaller buttons around and on top for filler.

Once your happy with the look of your monogram, just place it in your frame, remove the glass and voila! A beautiful button monogram is now complete!


I hope you enjoy making your own button monogram! Make sure to share your pictures with me if you do! I'd love to see your creations.


No comments:

Post a Comment