Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Apron Project



After making my pillow case a couple of weeks ago, I was feeling ready to tackle a new sewing project. I decided I wanted to try to make an apron (since they're supposed to be easy). I found a tutorial that I thought looked easy enough, so I decided I'd give it a try! The tutorial says the apron would only take about an hour to make...so I thought, "Great! How hard can it be?"

Boy, was I wrong. This simple apron that was supposed to take only an hour to make caused me stress all day yesterday! After committing half of my day to this project, a Skype video call, TWO broken needles, threading my machine about a hundred million times, trying to read my Spanish book about my machine -- why didn't they give me an English one? I don't know...., Charlie jumping in on the action, and my Mom coming over to help me....my apron is now finished!

Although the tutorial I was following was a bit confusioning at times...the apron wasn't the real problem, it's me not knowing my machine yet. But after it's all said and done, I really like my apron. It's really cute!

The apron tutorial I followed can be found here.
(At the beginning of this project, I was doing good taking pictures along the way, but as the day wore on and so did my nerves, I didn't do as great of a job with taking pictures of all the steps -- sorry!)

For this apron, all you'll need is one fat quarter, and 1/2 yard.


Then, take your 1/2 yard and cut the fabric into 3 strips each of which 6" wide.


Take one of the 3 strips and cut it the same width of your fat quarter. (The 22"ish side, not the other.)


Take the strip of fabric that is the same length of the fat quarter and fold it in half -- hot dog style, and press.


Now, this is the part of the apron project when things started to go down hill for me. I had a hard time understanding the tutorial I was following here and this is where the Skype call to my mom happened. I don't know why this part was hard for me to comprehend, but it was. After the call, she decided to come over to help me with the rest of the project.

What you'll do is take the fat quarter and folded strip together and place them RIGHT sides together until the raw edges match up. Then stitch them together.


This is what it will look like when you flip the band back over to the front side. Then you'll press the seam.


Then you'll topstitch the right side. I used pink thread for this project, as you can see.


Now you'll hem the sides. You'll fold them over twice and press them each time. Then stitch.

This is where I found out my machine didn't like the stitch I was using for this project. It kept clumping the thread and not sewing the fabric. This is when I began re-threading my machine a hundred times...and getting really frustrated. This was when my needles began to break.....awesome, right?!



Now that the main part of the apron is done, it's time to focus on the waistband. Take the one shorter strip (the one that you cut for the bottom of the apron) and pin the two long pieces to each side. Sew together, and press open the seams. 

I forgot to take a picture of this step. I think I was still mad because my needles were breaking.

We had to pull up the book for my machine on my computer because like I mentioned before, we only have the Spanish book! Why? I'm not sure.


Here's mom and Charlie trying to figure out what's wrong with my machine and why it didn't want to make my apron!


Now take your long waist band piece and pin the center of it to the center of the apron -- RIGHT sides together. Then, stitch the pieces together. Make sure to only stitch to the end of the apron piece. 

Again, no pictures, I was really tired of the apron by this point. (You can refer to the original tutorial for these pictures.)

Take the waist band that is directly above the apron piece and fold the edge over. (Not the whole length of the waistband.)

Then, take the waistband strips (what's on the left and right of the apron piece) and fold them RIGHT sides together and match the raw edges. Pin the sides, and begin stitching them together.
*Make sure to start sewing the pieces from the base of the apron piece and sew away from it.
At about 2" from the end of the piece, turn your piece and stitch the end at an angle. Trim away the extra fabric from the 2" angled piece.

Then you'll turn your your ties right side out. We were getting a little silly by this point....



Now you're in the home stretch! Just press your ties nice and flat. Then fold the unsewn part of the waistband over so that the folded edge covers the very top of the apron piece. Now, just topstitch the apron piece and the waistband on the right side of the fabric!


And that's it! Looks so cute after all that work!

Thanks to Mom and Charlie for helping me through this tiresome project!


No comments:

Post a Comment