Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Party Recipes

I told ya I would be sharing a couple of recipes that I used from the baby shower. One is a new recipe that i just found and the other is a tried and true recipe that I've used a lot. Both of which are very yummy!

The first is the homemade hot chocolate recipe. I found this recipe through Pinterest (I love Pinterest!). I knew I wanted to use it for the shower because part of our theme was snowflakes...and what goes better with snow and cold weather than hot chocolate?!  This is really good hot chocolate, very creamy and sweet! :)

Here's what you'll need: (recipe originally from Mrs. Happy Homemaker found here.)

1.5 cups heavy cream
1 can of sweetened condensed milk (14oz)
2 cups milk chocolate chips (I used a whole bag)
6 cups of milk  (I used 2% milk)
1 tsp vanilla extract



Pour each of the ingredients in to your crock pot. The recipe I got this from said it needed to cook on low for about 2 hours. I found that I needed to turn it on high after about an hour because I wasn't cooking quite as fast as I needed it to. So mine cooked for about 2.5 hours (1.5 on high). While it's cooking you'll need to stir it on occasion. 

This served about 9 people with a good amount left over. (We drank it out of tea cups instead of mugs.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The second recipe is one that I've used several times. If you know me, you know I love cupcakes! If I can find an excuse, I make them. When I make cupcakes, or cakes, I don't like to use canned icing - yuck. (Maybe that's a little harsh, but you get the idea...homemade icing wins every time.) It makes all the difference in the world! And I must say, whenever I make this icing I get tons of compliments!

Here's my recipe for my icing:

1/2 cup shortening
1 stick butter (softened)
4 cups confections' sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Mix all ingredients together in a mixing bow with your mixer on low.

I found that this recipe is great! It's soft enough to decorate your cupcakes, or cake, and stiff enough to stay put once it's iced. It's the perfect combination!



This makes enough icing for a dozen cupcakes. (Plus a little extra.)

I don't have any fancy cake decorating piping bags or fancy tips. I just use a plastic bag, cut the end, dump in the icing into the bag and begin to decorate my cupcakes! It's so easy to do -- I think easier than taking a knife and spreading it on....plus it looks prettier! 
And don't forget to top your cupcakes with sprinkles! :)

Enjoy!

I promised to share another recipe this week...so that will be my next post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment