Thursday, January 12, 2012

Full Speed Ahead!

I've been super busy this week! I've subbed 4 out of 5 days. When I sub it makes for super long days because I work for the after school care program at MA as well. So, that's a full day of being with the kiddos in the classroom PLUS two more hours of after school care with even more kids! Whenever I sub 3 days or more a week, I'm always so tired by the end of the day.

Subbing is great, but is really up and down. Most weeks, I'll know pretty much when I'll be working, but it's pretty common to get asked to come in the next day or that morning because a teacher can't be there. It's nice to have a bit of a flexible schedule, but at the same time it's hard to work some days and not others because my body is never used to a set schedule! And TRUST me, it takes a lot out of you to work all day in a classroom full of kids! Especially when you you walk in that morning to pick up where the day before left off, in terms of jumping right in to lessons (which you have to wing) as well as schedules and routines that are different for each class! Subbing definitely keeps you on your toes!

Even though I worked most days this week, it doesn't mean I don't get a brake when I come home. I've still got to cook and clean. (Honestly, I don't know how working moms do this....) And let me tell you, when I come home to my kitchen I've learned that one of my best friends is my crockpot. So, I thought I'd share another recipe this week! It's for a yummy chicken tortilla soup and it's super easy.


Looks yummy, right?!


For chicken tortilla soup you'll need:

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts**
2 cans Ro-Tel
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn
1 onion, chopped  (I used 1/2 of an onion I had left over from earlier in the week)
2 cans low-sodium chicken broth
1-2 cups of water
1 pkg of taco seasoning

toppings:
tortilla chips
sour cream
shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese

**I used 2 frozen chicken breasts. Before serving, I took the chicken breasts, shredded them, and stirred them back into the soup.

Add the soup ingredients together in a crockpot and stir together. Cook on high for 6-7 hours or on low for 6-9 hours. 

To serve, put a few tortilla chips in the bottom of the bowl, ladle soup over the tortilla chips and top with shredded cheese and sour cream! 


Charlie gives this recipe the "a-ok"!

Like I said, this was super easy, and very tasty! 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment